Friday 12 August 2011

Burial and Four Tet, Some Songs About Insects and Mannequins


The heads who know will already be on it, but in case you haven't heard this track do yourself a favour, it's sublime. Chill and deep to the max. In the intro how it fades from kicks on every other beat to four on the floor... first time I heard that was like an explosion of high fives in my mind. Simple yet effective. This is one of the best collaborations since Batman and Spiderman crashed that wedding. The video's cool too, it's like free drugs.


Another four on the floor tune, this time from Four Tet on his own. Dare I say danceable? Meaning in the conventional club sense of course. I've never had the chance to drop this in a set but one of these days I'll get the right crowd. Here Four Tet works his usual magic over a more conventional stomper. Percussion is stand-out for me. As is the orchestration, it just builds and builds without trying to go over the top.

I really dig producers that have that ninja style locked down, where they only use as much force as necessary. It's really difficult because not only do you have to have technical skill in using restraint and making each element as powerful as possible, but you have to have that artistic intuition to know exactly how much of each ingredient is enough. One of these days I'll develop a formula...

Ok, that's all folks!
As usual give me your opinions and general chatter in the comnomnoments.

16 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Burial's solo stuff over the collabs, but Moth is probably the best one of his collabs I've heard so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't like his collabs. Think it is very hard to collab. Like to really mesh with someone. It takes time. Almost all the collabs I hear, like lotus/samiyam, Mike and Rich, it is like 50/50 or even worse 75/25 producers just mashed together, sitting next to each other in the track. When two or more people truly come together to make music, they make something that is more than each of them. They are components, but do not remain distinct. I could go on for days, but that should be on my blog, as usual, haha, jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added to my favorites. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liked em A LOT. First one was better that the second, but both were great. I will download em, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the 2nd song/video more than the 1st. Less annoying bleep stuff going on and more chill beat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moth is a beast of a tune, so gutted i missed the vinyl when it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting the song. Deffenetly sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the music cool blog +followed

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha loved the plastic people, i'll look for more =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at that wedding. Despite the cobwebs in the punch, and the batarang that stabbed me in the ass, it was a pretty decent time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice songs, pretty dope blog. Looking forward for more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not something I'd expect dropped where I go, but I could definitely see myself chilling to this

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked it - thanks for your comment

    http://fashionandfrank.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moth is great, very relaxing for me.

    ReplyDelete